Destined - Jessie Harrell I don't really know where to start with this one. I feel kind of bad for giving this a 1 star rating, which is unusual since I tend to feel quite strongly about 1 star books. It wasn't a horrible read, and if I were much younger and very bored, I would have given DESTINED maybe 2 or 3 stars. On the other hand, very few books in my life have made me lament the time I would spend reading.

On that note, I couldn't bring myself to finish reading it. I read up to the 65% mark, and just had to put it down.

DESTINED recounts the Cupid and Psyche myth in story format. The story is set in Ancient Greece, and focuses around Psyche, whose beauty attracts Aphrodite's attention. After Psyche manages to offend Aphrodite, she is cursed to fall in love with a terrible a monster. However, Eros pricks himself with an arrow and instead falls deeply in love with Psyche.

I appreciate the effort put into this book. It's engaging at times, and I do like the author's portrayal of the gods as one big dysfunctional family with a lot of violent prima donna complexes.

But the writing definitely needs work, as does characterization. The dialogue is peppered with modern-day AMERICAN slang. Descriptions of setting were strangely anachronistic. Psyche mentions looking at a bookshelf in her room while her maid dresses her hair. Did they even have books in Ancient Greece, given that printing was not widespread until like 1500 AD? Did she mean to say "scroll shelf" instead? It took me a good forty pages to realize that the story was taking place in Ancient Greece, not American suburbia. Never a good start to a novel.

Furthermore, the protagonists were one-dimensional and unlikable. Psyche vacillates between being a Mary Sue to being insufferably immature. Eros lacks any real depth, outside of his love for Psyche.

But what really drove this book down to a 1 star rating was its stunning lack of originality. The Cupid and Psyche myth is a story that is appealing to our modern society. In fact, I would say that it was probably *THE* YA romance of Ancient Greece. We have a beautiful girl who is supposedly sacrificed to a monster. But in reality, the monster turns out to be the gorgeous God of Love, who must deign to win the love of a mere mortal. After some wooing and hardships, Psyche becomes immortal and the couple live happily ever after.

What girl wouldn't want to be Psyche?

So if there is a modern retelling, I expect there to be something special or unique about the story. Unfortunately, this book is a subpar rehash of the Greek myth itself, told with a modern voice and, sadly, dumbed down to be a quasi-romance between two very immature people.

Overall, a frustrating read. 1 star, plus regrets that I even spent money on this book. Granted it was $0.99, but still. Meh.