American Gods

American Gods - Neil Gaiman This book turned me over completely to Neil Gaiman and made me drooly and ga-ga for his writing like a Twilight fangirl on too much fairy dust. I've read a few of Gaiman's works before (The Sandman Vol. 1: Preludes and Nocturnes, Neverwhere, Anansi Boys, and Stardust), but none have blown me so completely out of the boiling seas like American Gods.

American Gods is one of the quirkiest books on American culture and belief that I've read. Told from the perspective of a particularly insightful non-American, American Gods takes a long, hard look at how cultures and religions mesh, change, and fade in the states. How do Americans define and create faith? What gods does a godless nation--or maybe an excessively god-full nation--have with not even 300 years of national existence under its belt? With ghosts, murders, gods (both forgotten and barely worshipped), Naiman weaves a tale that suspends previous conceptions of the American psyche, turns it up on its head, and makes you question, Who really is that homeless crazy in the subway station calling himself Mr. Wednesday?

Like the questions it poses, the story is not straightforward. Rather, it's a meandering road trip that takes numerous pit stops at creepy carnivals and random road-side attractions. Only, you have old worn-out gods and cranky demons for company.

Highly recommended, and definitely one of my favorite novels of all time!